5 Ways Entrepreneurship Helps You Grow As A PersonBookmark this
- You will become more patient. I was never known as a patient person. I was all about speed, getting what I wanted when I wanted it. Then I started a business. Entrepreneurship helped me flex my patience muscles — not that I really wanted to! I had to learn how to wait for a result. While I’ve had many successes in business over the years, nothing has happened as quickly as I would have wanted or expected when I started out. The patience I learned in business helps me in my daily life. In fact, I got to practice patience in business so that by the time I had children, I wasn’t that “now, now, now” person of my teens and early 20s. I could be a more patient, in-the-moment parent.
- You will become a better problem solver. Being in business means you are solving problems. Many problems can arise on any given day — some of your making and some not — all demanding answers. Being in business forces you to evaluate a situation, look at available options, and make a decision about a suitable solution. This can help you in real life outside of the office because you can be the fixer in your daily life. No damsel in distress for you. In fact, you may find that others seek you out for help with their sticky situations.
- You will gain more confidence. Business helps you gain more confidence, especially if you are a solopreneur or run a small team. Because you must wear so many hats, certainly in the beginning, you realize you are a lot more capable than you thought. Or, if you’re not capable when you start, you soon increase capability because you have to! You don’t have the luxury of not knowing how to do a thing. You have to figure it out. And that boosts your confidence as you accomplish more and more over time.
- You will be stronger. Well, we’ve all heard the saying, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” It’s true for business. The challenges you face and successfully overcome reveal to you a strength that might have been hiding. Of course this same strength helps you in life outside of business because it allows you to more easily manage the stresses, tough times, and challenges you face on a day-to-day basis.
- You will become more resilient. Inevitably in business, not everything will go your way. In fact, you might fail at something. Whether it’s a project, an initiative, or at business itself, some failure will show up to knock you down. It won’t be fun, but if you’re able to get beyond it, you can go on to success later. What’s more, the failures, disappointments, and tough times will hone your ability to bounce back. Or bounce higher. Better.
- You will be more resilient as a result of your business. This same resilience can help you in your private life because it equips you to deal with the losses, setbacks, and trials you may face there.
So there you have it, five ways business helps you to grow as a person. And you thought you were only chasing financial wealth in business. You may find that the wealth of personal growth is a more prized possession.
Monica Carter Tagore is an author and business strategist. She creates training programs to help authors, speakers, coaches, consultants, freelancers, solopreneurs, and other small business owners brand their businesses, market what they do, and get better clients. Get her free ebook, "Super Effective Sales Strategies,".